How do we design a more vibrant, livable future — for all of us?
In times like these, it’s easy to get discouraged. We’re facing a global pandemic, pernicious social injustice, uneven economic struggle, democratic erosion and an existential climate crisis — all while living under the stress of isolation and blurred work/life boundaries. At UME, our saving grace has been each other. Every day, we keep each other focused on what we can control. On the problems we can address. On the good we can do. On creating the future we want and deserve. This is our work.
As a collaborative design studio growing brands from the inside-out, we are on a mission to create a more vibrant, livable future for all of us.
But how do we get there? How do we amplify truth, growth, beauty, and impact — for all of us?
For UME as a studio, it first starts with being selective about who we partner with — specifically, brands that are building the new economy, re-imagining sectors and systems and paving the way to create a more beautiful, regenerative world. We’ll give you some examples. UME has been working with MINA to launch the world’s lightest blockchain, powered by participants. Their layer one protocol enables anyone with a smartphone to participate and verify the network in seconds — leveling the playing field and creating a truly democratic technology for building a better future. We’ve also been partnering with Local Roots to scale their business and re-imagine the future of food by connecting more New Yorkers with hyper-local sustainable family farmers and fresh, seasonal produce.
Second, it’s about how we engage and support our clients through the trifecta of business, brand and leadership. Because getting to that more vibrant, livable future is going to take all we've got —fully aligning from the inside-out and working holistically to unite body, heart, and head towards the same goal. At UME, we see these three pillars of business, brand and leadership as inextricably linked and essential for success. Business is the bedrock that delivers on the brand promise. The brand promise calls us to new levels of leadership. Leadership steers the business forward and sees beyond the horizon. With an inside-out, whole systems approach, we’re able to build solid foundations, prioritize our goals, and empower teams to turn big visions into tangible realities.
What about you and your organization?
What kind of future are you working toward? And are your business, brand and leadership aligning and firing up to get you there? Here are some tips to help you organize your thinking.
- Get clear on your vision.
- Describe the future your organization is working to create.
- Envision the kind of growth-mindset that will get you there.
- Assess your current state.
- Map your business using a SWOT or similar analysis.
- Evaluate the strength of your brand strategically, visually and experimentally.
- Understand the strengths and challenges of your leadership and culture.
- Map the interconnections.
- Synergy. How do your business, brand and leadership positively impact and reinforce one another? And help you achieve your vision?
- Conflict. How do your business, brand and leadership negatively impact and impede one another? And get in the way of achieving your vision?
- Chart the path forward.
- Outline all of the goals that need to be pursued with time, energy and resources and the potential returns on investments.
- Prioritize and phase your goals based on logic flows, urgency and efficiency.
- Gather the right task forces, teams and resources to get there.
- Take a deep breath and get excited about the first step!
Download our Inside-Out Guide to join us in creating a more vibrant, livable future for all.